Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Rabbit Trail— The Epic of Gilgamesh

While researching for another class, I stumbled upon a little article claiming that Gilgamesh and Enkidu have a homosexual relationship in The Epic of Gilgamesh.  I would think that what Ninsun says to Gilgamesh about Enkidu “you will love him as a woman and he will never forsake you” is probably their best evidence.  

However, I would argue that this claim is quite a bit of a stretch.  There are many stories of strong and passionate brotherly love in other ancient texts as well (a lot in the Bible). I do not think Eros (passionate love/intimate love) has to be sexual in nature.  Can’t brotherly (sisterly) love be powerful?

 Now, we might call this type of relationship a “bromance”.  Just in case you don’t know what a “bromance” is I have added a video that explains. 



(\__/)
(='.'=) – “Can you feel my heart beat?”
 (")_(")
                  
                          (The bunny is making an only slightly obscure Korean pop music reference) 

3 comments:

  1. Tell me/us a little bit more about the opinion concerning the homosexual oriented point of view that you read from another blog.
    So far I believe that the friend relationship between Enkidu and Gilgamesh is comparable to the story of David and Abner.

    Edwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, your video explaining " Bromance" is hilarious except for the touching of hair and/or slurping of straw; at least in my opinion.

    Edwin

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I kind of explained this in class but I know more now. Originally, I had seen an article online straight up calling Gilgamesh gay.(pun intended) So this woman, Susan Ackerman,wrote a whole book on the subject. Though she never blatantly calls the relationship between them homosexual, she sure makes a lot of the scenes sexual with little evidence(in my opinion). I is a pretty good book if one needs to explore the relationship between either of the friendships you mentioned.
    Ackerman, Susan. When heroes love: the ambiguity of eros in the stories of Gilgamesh and David. New York. Columbia University Press. 2005.
    Nathanael

    ReplyDelete